Thursday, January 26, 2012

Five Days In Holland

When Ron got stuck in the Netherlands during the country wide strike in Nigeria, I took the opportunity to visit him in Arnhem.  It is a medium sized city east of Amsterdam.

While Ron would go in to the GE factory each day, I would walk around the city and take pictures with my new camera.I mean, who gets to do stuff like this!

Warrens of narrow streets lined with quaint little shops all offering lovely wares to locals and tourists alike.

I loved the stained glass on this store front.

Every building is narrow and at least 3 stories tall.
Even though it was mid winter, I found tulips in the flower shops.

At one end of the city square stands a magnificent building.

And a sweet little flower stand.
It rained ALL THE TIME.And once it was so cold the rain turned to hail. 

Here is the inside of a chocolate shop.  I went there twice!
Skinny little shop.
Old school.
Building at river's edge.
River walk.
Here is the tea shop where I had lunch one day.  I had a brie and apple sandwich and bought a sweet to take back to the hotel.
Who could have resisted a slice of this cake.I am not a fan of fondant but this cake was covered with a fondant that was delicious!  I am now on the hunt for a supplier that makes one as good.
The blackberry is covered in edible gold (or gold toned)!  And is tasted wonderful!
On Saturday Ron was able to take the day off and we went to the zoo by bus.
Just a few pictures of some of the animals we encountered.
This bird was so fun.  It was some sort of dove and when we cooed at it, it would coo back at us.
Just a shot of one of the neighborhoods we quickly passed by on the bus ride home.What an unexpected treat this trip was.  But now the strike is over and Ron is back in Nigeria and I am home in Ohio.  Eating dutch chocolate.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

How wonderful! There's nothing going somewhere new! Guess I'll be an arm chair traveler this winter! Loved the pics.